Natural and sustainable skincare lovers - this one is for you!
Making your own natural skin cream from scratch is not as difficult as it might seem. All you need is some simple ingredients, a good recipe, and equipment (most of which you will already have at home!).
Watch our video for the step-by-step guide teaching you how to DIY your very own natural skincare. Created by our very own company owner Tony and laboratory assistant Kiki, this is a similar formula we often use to create some of our own range (before adding a few secret ingredients, of course!).
Oh, and you can buy all ingredients from Abbey Essentials online store, which makes the process even easier!
It will take a little longer than 3 minutes to create the final product as we speeded the video up, but don't fret - the step-by-step guide is outlined below.
Three main ingredients for making skin cream at home
Most creams are made by mixing oil and water. So, the ingredients for your project are:
- Emulsifying agent
It is usual to add several other ingredients to enhance the properties of the cream. These are often:
- Glycerin as a moisturiser and skin conditioner
- Aloe Vera Extract as a skin conditioner
- Vitamin E as an antioxidant
- It is also necessary to add a preservative
It is necessary to use an emulsifying agent to stabilise the mix of oil and water (otherwise, they will separate, and you will not be able to get that creamy consistency).
When making this cream, we have an oil phase and a water phase. Water-soluble ingredients make up the water phase, and oil-soluble ingredients make up the oil phase.
A Water Phase for the water-soluble ingredients
- Glycerin (Moisturiser)
- Aloe Vera Extract (Skin Conditioner)
- Phenoxyethanol (Preservative)
An Oil Phase for the oil-soluble ingredients
- Oil of choice, often Sweet Almond Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, and Jojoba Oil. You may use one, or a combination of several oils to achieve a particular property in the cream.
- Emulsifying Wax
- Cetyl Alcohol (Thickener)
- Vitamin E Oil ( Antioxidant)
- Essential / Fragrance Oils
When making a skin cream, it is necessary to use an emulsifying agent (in our case we are using emulsifying wax) to stabilise the mix of oil and water (otherwise, they will separate, and you will not be able to get that creamy consistency).
Equipment you will need:
- Stainless steel pots (2)
- Electric Hob
- Electric Blender
- pH papers or meter.
Natural Skincare Cream Recipe
- Water - 670g (approx 69%)
- Oil(s) [we used Sweet Almond Oil] - 260g (approx 20%)
- Emulsifying Wax - 40g (approx 4%)
- Glycerin - 30g (approx 3%)
- Aloe Vera - 20g (approx 2%)
- Vitamin E Oil - 10g (approx 1%)
- Phenoxyethanol - 10g (approx 1%)
- A citric Acid solution to pH 5 - as required
- Essential and/or Fragrance Oils - depending on your preference
And that is IT! You are done and should have a cream which you have made from scratch and that is GOOD for your skin (and the environment!). We told you that it is much easier than you may have thought!
Now is the time to test and enjoy your creation!
Plus, with Christmas coming up, you could make an incredible surprise homemade gift for your friends and family (you are welcome!). 😉 🎁
We would love to know how you get on and if you try our recipe.